Christmas ain't complete without KFC

December 25, 2009. I'm often asked by friends back in the Philippines, how do the Japanese celebrate Christmas? The answer: With a bucketful of KFC fried chicken and Christmas Cake. I didn't actually see the lines at KFC, but I saw the lines at bakeshops, where people were snapping up boxes of Christmas cakes that look a tad sweeter than usual. Sure enough the next morning, we saw this at the neighborhood's common garbage area:

Hubby insisted I hold the bucket up for perspective ("Wow look at the size of that thing!")

I brought it back home as it made a really nice and sturdy festive wastebasket. :)

On Christmas Eve, we went to the West Tokyo Union Church service. One of the members of the Church, Ruth, held up a talking lion puppet and told the story of St. Nicholas and why we hang up stockings by the fireplace. It was excellent storytelling (and I'm pretty sure my mouth hung open while listening). The service also featured a very solemn liturgical hula dance version of Silent Night. After the service, we all went to the home of Jim and Carol Sacks for russian tea, and who knows how many refills I had (yes, it was that good). Recipe can be found here.

Reverend Claudia and accompanying liturgical hula dancers

No comments:

Post a Comment